The Guidance Counselor at St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School provides short-term individual and small group guidance lessons that address academic and personal success. The Counselor provides classroom guidance lessons that include respect, bullying, conflict resolution/problem solving, study skills/test taking skills, and character education. Communication between the Guidance Counselor and parents is vital. If you have a concern about your child, please call or email.
The PSO sponsored a discussion for parents on computer and Internet awareness. The experts addressed concerns and discussed the importance of parental involvement with children on the Internet.
The presenters were:
Dr. Carrie Dittner, Dr. Katherine Hutchinson both from Peak Development Associates, PA
Master Officer Matt Mellenberger, Apex P.D.
Chris Stark, Special Agent, N.C. SBI – Computer Crimes Unit
Main points discussed:
- Twitter is more widely used for social networking
- Cyber-bullying is more prevalent between ex-friends who want to “get back”
- Adolescents compete to have the most friends on Facebook
- http://www.formspring.me/ is one of many sites that questions are asked by anyone to answer
- http://omegle.com/ is a site to just chat with random people
- Daily, weekly conversations with children about appropriate usage of the internet, appropriate sites, managing sites, replying to others posts, and how to talk about inappropriate messages
- Elementary children are too young to be on a computer without an adult by their side. They do not yet have the filter to distinguish what is or is not appropriate
- Parents should know username and password to all sites your children are visiting and to constantly monitor these sites
- Convey to your child that there is no such thing as privacy on-line
- http://www.spectorsoft.com: software to monitor websites
- Children are self-exploiting themselves on the Internet
- Consistently engage children in conversations about standing up for oneself and for others if bullying is occurring
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children: http://www.ncmec.org/
On Guard Online: http://www.onguardonline.gov/
Embrace Civility: http://www.embracecivility.org/
American Psychological Association: http://www.apa.org/topics/bullying
Apex Peak Development Associates: http://www.apexpda.com/